Our Conversations Webinar Series is an opportunity to link national experts in colorectal cancer and other related fields to you, right in the comfort of your own home. The programs are designed to empower you to play a leading role in your healthcare management.
This month, we hosted a webinar on 5-FU, the most common colorectal cancer treatment, where we explored the history and benefits, as well as the causes and treatment of toxicities that arise in many patients.
What you may not know about Fluorouracil (5-FU) may surprise you!
Couldn’t make the webinar? Read the Top 5 Takeaways and watch the replay for the information you need to know.
- 5-FU has been around and in use for colorectal cancer for over 60 years.
- Along with capecitabine it is the backbone of treatment for CRC.
- Before you start any treatment, have a plan with your healthcare providers regarding the side effects of treatment and when to call and report severe toxicities.
- Severe toxicities are rare but about 15% of people experience them due to an enzyme deficiency or human error.
- Treatments for side effects and severe toxicities are supportive care, symptom management, and if life threatening, uridine triacetate, which must be received within 96 hours.
Don’t forget, the Colon Cancer Alliance serves as a source of information about colon health. If you have additional questions about colon cancer screening or are in need of support, please contact our free Helpline at (877) 422-2030. We’re here to help.
Did you have questions from the webinar? Take a look at the Q&A to find the answers to your questions!
This webinar was made possible thanks to BTG.