Life with Cancer® is the psychosocial and educational arm of the Inova Schar Cancer Institute within the Inova Health System (Fairfax, Virginia). At Life with Cancer we believe that any one impacted by cancer should have access to the tools they need to live better with cancer, which is why we offer services free of charge, regardless of where one lives or receive treatment. We provide a continuum of care from the time of diagnosis, during active treatment, through advanced disease, survivorship, end-of-life experiences and bereavement.
In addition to inpatient services at Inova Hospitals in Alexandria, Falls Church, Fair Oaks and Leesburg, each month Life with Cancer offers approximately 200 programs throughout Northern Virginia. Clients benefit from art therapy, meditation and guided imagery, mindfulness training, healing touch, reiki, yoga and a variety of exercise programs, educational seminars, disease specific support groups, individual and family counseling, nurse education and navigation, as well as programs for children, adolescence, young adults, and programs in Spanish.
To see a complete listing of Life with Cancer programs, go to www.lifewithcancer.org
In summary, Participation in Life with Cancer programs and services is: Free, Inclusive, Accessible, with No Referrals Necessary
- Free. Services are provided at no cost to patients or families (except for massage and psychiatry services).
- Inclusive. Open to all adults, children and adolescents affected by cancer, no matter where treatment is received.
- Accessible. No referrals are necessary (except for psychiatry). We are open weekdays and weeknights, with occasional events on weekends.
- Certified and licensed oncology nurse navigatorand oncology therapist staff provide services.
- Committed volunteers. Large network of trained volunteers allows for more programming.
- Community-funded. Seventy percent of our funding derives from community-basedphilanthropy.