2018 National Conference Frequently Asked Questions
Conference Frequently Asked Questions
The Colorectal Cancer Alliance in partnership with the MD Anderson Cancer Center, are proud to present the Colorectal Cancer Alliance National Conference 2018, November 6-7, 2018 in Houston, TX. For additional information on the conference including scholarships, applications and registrations, please contact:
To see the presentations and breakout sessions, please visit the agenda. Note all times, events, meals, and speakers are subject to change.
Who should attend, and is attendance limited?
The Colorectal Cancer Alliance 2018 National Conference is the Alliance’s signature Patient & Family Support and educational outreach event. We are committed to providing attendees with the latest treatment and survivorship information, in a forum attendees can interact and network with other CRC patients and survivors. Attendance is not limited and is open to all colorectal cancer patients and survivors, both in and out of treatment, their caregivers and family members. All attendees must register in advance through our online registration process.
Where will the Colorectal Cancer Alliance 2018 National Conference occur?
It will occur over the course of two days at the MD Anderson Duncan Family Institute Building located within the MD Anderson Cancer Center, one of the largest and most respected hospitals in the country.
MD Anderson Duncan Family Institute Building
1155 Pressler Street
Houston, TX 77030
The host hotel is the Hilton Houston Plaza Medical Center Hotel. Amenities include a rooftop pool and bar, complete fitness center, Garden Court restaurant, Shamrock Lounge, and free in-room standard Internet Wi-Fi. There is a shuttle that can take you to restaurants and museums within a 2-mile radius. Accessible rooms are also available.
Hilton Houston Plaza Medical Center Hotel
6633 Travis Street
Houston, TX 77030-1308
Reservations: (713) 313-4677
Hotel General Number: (713) 313-4000
Find a map and driving directions here.
Is there on-site parking at the Hilton Houston Plaza?
Yes. Self-parking is $15/day and valet parking is $28/day.
How do I register and is there a registration fee?
All attendees, including scholarship recipients, must pay a $50 registration fee and register online:
- For attendees not applying for scholarships, the last step in the online registration process will be payment of the $50 registration fee to confirm attendance.
- For scholarship recipients, once the Colorectal Cancer Alliance receives all required forms, confirmed scholarship recipients will receive a link to pay the $50 registration.
Each attendee must register and pay separately.
What is the room rate and how do I reserve a room?
If you request and receive a lodging scholarship, your room will be booked for you. All Lodging scholarship recipients will be required to share a room with another recipient.
We have negotiated a special conference room rate of $197.73 per night, single or double occupancy, including taxes and breakfast. Please make your reservation by calling Reservations at (713) 313-4677. When calling, please be sure to reference the ‘Colorectal Cancer Alliance Group’ to receive the special rate. This group rate is good three days pre/post event based on availability. Please make your room reservations at your earliest convenience, as space will fill up fast.
Is there a cut-off date to reserve a room?
Yes, the reservation deadline for non-lodging scholarship attendees is October 15, 2018. Reservations made after that date, or after the Colorectal Cancer Alliance room block sells out, may be subject to a higher rate or may not be available. Currently, the Hilton Houston Plaza Medical Center Hotel is accepting reservations, so don’t delay in making your arrangements.
Lodging scholarship recipients will have their hotel room reservations made for them.
What are lodging and travel scholarships and how are they available?
Only a limited number of Lodging Scholarships and Travel Scholarships are available through our application process. Lodging and travel scholarships are intended to assist those attendees who might not otherwise be able to attend due to financial restraints.
- All scholarships will be limited to colorectal patients/survivors, their caregivers and family members.
- Applicants must live in the United States.
- Scholarships shall be awarded at the discretion of the Colorectal Cancer Alliance, and shall be fair and equal in all of its selection processes for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
- All scholarships will be awarded on a first come, first served basis during the online registration process until funds are exhausted.
- Each attendee will need to apply separately and each attendee will pay a $50 registration fee.
- The Colorectal Cancer Alliance reserves the right to adjust the award amounts and/or discontinue scholarships in case of extenuating circumstances.
- Scholarship recipients will be required to obtain and pay their own transportation costs and will receive a check in the mail within 6 weeks of submitting receipts.
Travel scholarships will occur on a reimbursement basis. Recipients will be required to book and pay for their own travel. Recipients will receive an email, which will include complete details about the reimbursement process. Travel insurance is strongly encouraged.
Successful lodging scholarship recipients will receive two-night accommodations at the conference hotel and will be required to share a room with another lodging scholarship recipient.
- Your hotel room will be booked for you, you will receive your reservation number and roommate a couple weeks prior to the conference.
- If your family member/caregiver also receives a lodging scholarship, you will be roomed together.
- If you would like to request another lodging scholarship recipient or attendee as your roommate, please request so in the registration process. If not, every attempt will be made to create room pairings based on gender and age.
Any additional nights beyond the 2 nights awarded will be the responsibility of the recipient. Lodging scholarships do not include incidentals such as phone calls, movies, room service and mini bar.
If you receive a lodging scholarship, please do not make a room reservation; your room reservations will be made for you.
Are you doing anything to memorialize those we lost?
There will be a Memory Wall to honor those who have lost their lives to colorectal cancer. We will have cards to write their names as well as a place to share a photo. Bring a photo of your loved one to add to the Wall.
How do I apply for a scholarship?
You may apply for scholarships during the online registration process here: register online. Scholarships will be awarded on a first come, first served basis until funds are exhausted.
Will I get a confirmation email after I apply?
Yes. Travel, parking, and lodging scholarship recipients will receive an email with instructions and timelines to complete the award process. Please pay careful attention to scholarship award emails, there are strict timelines and due dates.
When will I receive my travel reimbursement?
Scholarship recipients will receive their checks in the mail within 6 weeks of submitting receipts. You will receive an email with instructions on how to submit this form.
What airport should I fly into?
There are two airports in the Houston area. George Bush International Airport (IAH) is the largest and is about 26 miles away and Houston Hobby Airport (HOU) is about 13 miles away. George Bush is a bit further away, but probably offers better flights and prices.
How do I get to the hotel from the airport?
Uber and Taxi service are available to and from the airport. The hotel does not provide shuttle service to and from the airport.
- Are there special events and social receptions planned?
What meals are included in the conference?
- Monday 5:30-7:00 pm: evening welcome mixer: cheese & crackers, beer/wine
- Tuesday/Wednesday morning 7:00-8:30 am: breakfast at the hotel, then shuttle to MD Anderson
- Morning and afternoon snacks included both Tuesday and Wednesday at MD Anderson
- Tuesday noon: lunch at MD Anderson
- Tuesday 6:00 – 9:00 pm: Blue Denim Round Up Party at the hotel, dinner served
- Wednesday noon: box lunch provided at MD Anderson, conference ends at 2:00.
What is the dress code for the Conference?
Dress attire for meetings is business casual or resort casual
Tuesday night party, the Blue Denim Round Up is your best fun blue denim attire!