Conference Frequently Asked Questions
The Colorectal Cancer Alliance, in partnership with the Dana Farber Cancer Institute, is proud to present AllyCon 2019, September 17-18, 2019, in Boston, MA. For additional information about the conference including scholarships, applications, and registrations, please contact:
Colorectal Cancer Alliance
To see the presentations and breakout sessions, please visit the agenda section of this website. Please note all times, events, meals, and speakers are subject to change.
What is AllyCon?
Formerly known as the Alliance's National Conference, we are pleased to announce AllyCon! The name signifies unity, 'ally' and also accurately describes what it ultimately is - 'a conference'. This year it's called AllyCon 2019, each year we'll change the year.
What year did the National Conference start?
The Alliance's National Conference's first year was 2002.
Who should attend, and is attendance limited?
AllyCon 2019 is the Colorectal Cancer Alliance’s signature Patient & Family Support and educational outreach event. We are committed to providing attendees with the latest treatment and survivorship information, in a forum attendees can interact and network with other CRC patients and survivors. Attendance is not limited and is open to all colorectal cancer patients and survivors, both in and out of treatment, their caregivers and family members. All attendees must register in advance through our online registration process.
Registration is now closed.
Where will the AllyCon 2019 occur?
The Colorectal Cancer Alliance’s 2019 national conference, AllyCon, will occur over the course of two days at the Boston Marriott Newton.
Boston Marriott Newton
2345 Commonwealth Avenue
Newton, MA 02466
Offering a scenic location on the Charles River, with easy access to a variety of popular attractions including downtown Boston and Faneuil Hall Marketplace. Amenities include an indoor pool, 24-hour fitness center, American Food at the Riverbend Bar & Grill, Riverbend Lounge Pub, and Starbucks coffee.
Is there on-site parking?
Yes. Self-parking is $11/day.
How do I register and is there a registration fee?
All attendees, including scholarship recipients, must register online:
For attendees not applying for scholarships, the last step in the online registration process will be payment of the $50 registration fee to confirm attendance.
For scholarship recipients, once the Colorectal Cancer Alliance receives all required forms, confirmed scholarship recipients will receive a link to pay the $50 registration.
Each attendee must register and pay separately. Registration is now closed.
What is the room rate and how do I reserve a room?
If you request and receive a lodging scholarship, your room will be booked for you. All Lodging scholarship recipients will be required to share a room with another recipient.
We have negotiated a special conference room rate of $246 per night, single or double occupancy. Please make your reservation by calling Reservations at (888) 236-2427, reference the Colorectal Cancer Alliance to receive the special rate. This group rate is good three days pre/post event based on availability. Please make your room reservations at your earliest convenience, as space will fill up fast.
Is there a cut-off date to reserve a room?
Yes, the reservation deadline for non-lodging scholarship attendees is Monday, August 26, 2019. Reservations made after that date, or after the Colorectal Cancer Alliance room block sells out, may be subject to a higher rate or may not be available. Don’t delay in making your arrangements.
If you have applied for a lodging scholarship, please do not reserve a room. Lodging scholarship recipients will have their hotel room reservations made for them.
What are lodging and travel scholarships and how are they available?
Only a limited number of Lodging Scholarships and Travel Scholarships are available through our application process. Lodging and travel scholarships are intended to assist those attendees who might not otherwise be able to attend due to financial restraints. We kindly ask those applicants who have the means to do so, to please share in their own travel expenses so we may assist as many applicants as possible.
- All scholarships will be limited to CRC patients/survivors, their caregivers and family members.
- Applicants must live in the United States.
- Scholarships shall be awarded at the discretion of the Colorectal Cancer Alliance, and shall be fair and equal in all of its selection processes for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
- All scholarships will be awarded on a ‘first come, first served’ basis during the online registration process until funds are exhausted.
- Each attendee will need to apply separately and each attendee will pay a $50 registration fee.
- The Colorectal Cancer Alliance reserves the right to adjust the award amounts and/or discontinue scholarships in case of extenuating circumstances.
- Scholarship recipients will be required to obtain and pay their own transportation costs and will receive a check in the mail within 6 weeks of submitting receipts.
Travel Scholarship Specifics
Travel scholarships will occur on a reimbursement basis. Recipients will be required to book and pay their own travel. Recipients will receive an email, which will include complete details about the reimbursement process. Travel insurance is strongly encouraged.
Lodging Scholarship Specifics
Successful lodging scholarship recipients will receive two-night accommodations at the conference hotel and will be required to share a room with another lodging scholarship recipient.
- Your hotel room will be booked for you, you will receive your reservation number and roommate a couple weeks prior to the conference.
- If your family member/caregiver also receives a lodging scholarship, you will be roomed together.
- If you would like to request another lodging scholarship recipient or attendee as your roommate, please request so in the registration process. If not, every attempt will be made to create room pairings based on gender and age.
Any additional nights beyond the 2 nights awarded will be the responsibility of the recipient. Please arrange additional nights directly with the hotel, be sure to reference the Colorectal Cancer Alliance. Lodging scholarships do not include incidentals such as phone calls, movies, room service and mini bar.
If you receive a lodging scholarship, please do not make a room reservation, your room reservations will be made for you. If you are coming in early or staying after September 16-18, please contact the Marriott directly to make additional night reservations at (888) 236-2427.
How do I apply for a scholarship?
You may apply for scholarships during the online registration process. Scholarships will be awarded on a first come first served basis until funds are exhausted.
Registration is now closed.
Will I get a confirmation email after I apply?
Yes. Travel and lodging scholarship recipients will be electronically notified with instructions and timelines to complete the award process. Please pay careful attention to scholarship award emails, there are strict timelines and due dates.
When will I receive my travel reimbursement?
Travel reimbursement checks will be available for pickup onsite at the conference.
If I choose to stay at another hotel other than the Conference Hotel, will there be transportation provided to me?
No, transportation to and from other hotels is not provided.
May I find a roommate to share a double hotel accommodation?
Lodging Scholarship recipients will be required to share a room. If you have a roommate preference, please indicate during the scholarship application process. If you do not have a preference, you will have a roommate selected for you.
What airport should I fly into?
Boston Logan International Airport
How do I get to the hotel from the airport?
No hotel shuttle is available to/from the airport. Uber/Lyft and Taxi service are available to/from the airport.
- Are there special events and social receptions planned?
What meals are included in the conference?
- Monday 5:30-7:00PM: evening welcome mixer, cheese & crackers, beer/wine
- Tuesday/Wednesday morning 7:00-8:30AM: breakfast at the hotel
- Tuesday noon: lunch
- Tuesday 6:00 – 10:00pm: 80’s Themed Party at the hotel, dinner served
What is the dress code for AllyCon?
Dress attire for meetings is business casual or resort casual
Tuesday night party: 80’s Themed Party - your best fun 80’s attire!