Patient & Family Support Navigator
Are you looking for a meaningful job? Do you want to use your expertise in connecting patients to resources in cancer care to help save lives and make a positive impact on those in need? Then come join the Colorectal Cancer Alliance team as our next Patient & Family Support Navigator!
The Colorectal Cancer Alliance is a national nonprofit organization committed to ending colorectal cancer within our lifetime. We help patients, families, survivors, and caregivers navigate diagnosis and treatment options, connect them with those who can share experiences and knowledge, and identify resources to meet their needs. We partner with healthcare professionals and social influencers to raise awareness of preventative screening, and we collaborate with researchers to better understand the disease and fund critical research. Our efforts are urgent, effective, and efficient because we believe that tomorrow can’t wait.
The Patient & Family Support Navigator will be a member of the Patient & Family Support Team within the Care Department. For this role, it is a requirement to be bilingual (Spanish).
Goals and responsibilities the successful applicant will need to achieve include:
- Respond to Helpline calls with compassion, health-related information, resources, and referral services for individuals seeking colorectal cancer support. Respond to Helpline calls and electronic inquiries and English and Spanish.
- Facilitating appropriate education, psychosocial support, and other comments to generate conversation and support in the Alliance’s online communities, website chat, and group discussions.
- Serving with a team of navigators to respond to phone and electronic inquiries received from patients and caregivers affected by colorectal cancer and offer individualized and accurate disease, treatment, and coping information.
- Ability to give accurate, current information on risks, diagnosis, treatment, rehabilitation, follow-up care and medical facilities/providers.
- For applicable programs, schedule appointments directly for interested individuals through direct access to the medical institutions scheduling system.
- Navigate a caseload of constituents who are identified as benefiting from ongoing follow up and support throughout their screening, treatment, or survivorship experience.
- Educate patients about clinical trials and refer to RN navigator when appropriate or any other specialty service identified.
- Keep current and curious on colorectal cancer risk factors, diagnoses, treatments, and coping strategies.
- Travel occasionally to conferences and events representing the Colorectal Cancer Alliance.
Required Education, Experience, and Qualifications:
- Bilingual Spanish required. Please note language skills in your resume and/or cover letter.
- Masters in Social Work, Masters in Health Education, Nursing degree (BSN or RN), or Masters in another related field is preferred.
- Three years of previous experience in a health care delivery setting working with patients and their families.
- Previous experience in the field of oncology, particularly solid tumor or colorectal cancer is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to mitigate one’s own stress in emotionally difficult circumstances and assist patients and caregivers with compassion and empathy.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
- Interact professionally with other employees, constituents and vendors.
- Work effectively as a team contributor on all assignments.
If you believe you have the experience and ability to successfully achieve these goals, we’d like to hear from you! Interested candidates may apply by sending an email with a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please note language skills in your resume and/or cover letter. Please include “Patient & Family Support Navigator (full-time)" in the subject of the email.
The Colorectal Cancer Alliance is committed to providing a productive and professional environment in which volunteers and staff work together with mutual respect and appreciation of their diversity to achieve the mission of the organization. The Alliance believes it is important to be genuinely representative of the community we serve, and in the importance of creating programs and activities, and collateral materials, that are culturally sensitive and responsive to all communities’ needs. This is essential to increasing colorectal cancer prevention and survivorship rates. Furthermore, we strive for an inclusive environment where volunteers, staff, and others who support the Colorectal Cancer Alliance reflect the full diversity of people affected by colorectal cancer and feel welcome to share their talents, skills, and passions in pursuit of our mission.
The Colorectal Cancer Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, arrest record, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. Our management team is dedicated to this policy with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities and general treatment during employment.
This position can be based in either the Alliance’s Washington, DC headquarters or be fully remote.
Some travel is required for this position based on the needs of the Alliance.
Senior Director of Patient Navigation
How to apply
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note language skills in your resume and/or cover letter. Please include "Patient & Family Support Navigator (full-time)" in the subject of the email.
To view all job opportunities at the Alliance, visit https://www.ccalliance.org/careers