Freelance Marketing and Communications Writer
The Colorectal Cancer Alliance seeks a part-time freelance writer for a temporary contract position to assist with the production of marketing and communications materials. This is an ideal position for a talented and early-career professional seeking a wide variety of writing experiences in a non-profit setting. The writer should have at least one year of experience and be able to dedicate 20 hours per week to the role. Internships can count toward experience.
The writer will take the lead in developing a range of marketing and communications assets, including blogs, emails, website content, and marketing collateral. Specific projects will be assigned based on organizational needs. Projects could support any facet of the organization, including events, fundraising, prevention, patient support, and community engagement.
The writer should understand how to plan and conduct interviews, collect and report information, write and edit stories, and incorporate key messaging. They should be empathetic, curious, and a good listener. They should understand the values of urgency and emotion in non-profit writing and excel at crafting a narrative. Accuracy and attention to detail are critical.
While healthcare writing experience is not required, the ability to learn and write about colorectal cancer is. Individuals with experience writing about people and their personal struggles will be prioritized.
The writer will meet with the Senior Manager of Strategic Communications at least weekly to establish goals, evaluate progress, and finalize materials. While the writer should be an independent and proactive self-starter, they will be considered part of the Alliance’s marketing and communications team and may be invited to key meetings when appropriate.
The role will run until at least December 15. Pay is $25/hour. This is a remote position.
Responsibilities may include:
- Draft emails to raise funds, inspire event participation, and highlight organizational successes
- Draft blogs to tell stories, share information, and highlight activities
- Draft website content in support of programs and events
- Edit contributed content from internal and external sources, including blogs, emails, and website content for grammar, style, and content
- Plan and conduct interviews with internal and external stakeholders, including colorectal cancer patients, survivors, caregivers, health care providers, and advocates
- Coordinate and collaborate with the Alliance’s marcom team to accomplish goals
This position is fully remote.
Part-time, non-exempt, temporary
Senior Manager of Strategic Communications
How to apply
Send a cover letter, three published writing samples, and a resume to email@example.com. Please include “Marketing and Communications Writer” in the subject of the email.