The Colorectal Cancer Alliance is a national nonprofit organization committed to ending colorectal cancer within our lifetime. We empower a nation of allies to join us as we raise awareness of preventive measures (Screen); provide support for patients and families, caregivers, and survivors (Care); and inspire efforts to fund critical research (Cure). Our work is urgent, effective, and efficient because we believe that tomorrow can’t wait.
The Colorectal Cancer Alliance is seeking a skilled Community Organizer to identify and mobilize champions who will drive screening in Philadelphia, with a primary focus on the African-American community.
Why is this important?
- Colorectal Cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in men and women combined in the United States, but is highly preventable and treatable with early screening and detection.
- African Americans face dramatic disparities in colorectal cancer screenings and outcomes.
- Philadelphia’s screening rates are much lower than the national average.
- COVID has caused a nearly 90% decline in colorectal cancer screenings.
This critical team member will inspire and organize a new coalition in Philadelphia, including both volunteers and patient stakeholders, local institutions, and community-based organizations. The organizer will leverage these relationships to execute on a grassroots/tops campaign.
The organizer will be responsible for:
- Building and organizing a powerful coalition of community leaders to drive Philadelphia residents to colorectal cancer screening and Alliance resources.
- Managing grassroots and earned media campaigns to drive awareness of screening.
- Collaborating with external stakeholders as well as across internal departments to build relationships, implement tactics, and monitor successes and learnings.
- Establishing 20+ partners (community-based, health care, public health, insurance payers, and businesses) to institutionalize the way we screen residents in the Philadelphia area.
- Continuously evaluate, document process and progress, and iterate on tactics.
- Demonstrated success organizing within the African-American community and managing partners.
- Passion for saving lives.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong understanding of community organizing methods.
- Existing relationships within Philadelphia’s healthcare community.
- Existing relationships with influential businesses and community-based organizations.
- Experience in healthcare advocacy is very useful.
Philadelphia, PA or nearby local region
Travel as needed
Director of Community Engagement
How to apply
Send an email with a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include "Community Organizer" in the subject line and share why this issue is compelling to you in the cover letter.