Plan a Successful Lobby Day
Prepare a Lobby Day Timeline and Checklist
This can be an Excel file or basic document, but should include the projected completion date, task and person responsible. This timeline will guide you and keep you on track, so make sure you have included every task for planning purposes.
4 – 6 months out
- Start recruiting volunteers to help with your effort.
- Determine meeting logistics and reserve your meeting room and a block of hotel rooms if applicable.
- Determine if lunch or transportation is needed and reserve chartered bus if applicable. Explore catering options and narrow choices based on budgetary constraints.
- Determine format for lobby day, whether it is a day of visiting legislators’ offices or a reception, forum or briefing for legislators and staff.
90 Days Out
- Post registration information on Blue Star Calendar; send information to Colon Cancer Alliance for posting in Newsletter and web site.
- Alert invitees so that they can make travel arrangements.
- Create lobby day agenda and instructions.
- Discuss options for special guest speakers who will speak at your training.
- Determine who will schedule appointments for lobby day.
60 Days Out
- Determine what will be in participants’ folders:
- lobby tips,
- maps of legislative building locations or city council offices;
- talking points
- Draft letter from CEO to send to Colon Cancer Alliance for signature.
- Draft press releases.
- Determine organizational volunteers and their roles.
- Invite guest speakers who will provide briefings on issues.
45 Days Out
- Draft talking points and leave behinds on issues.
- Send letter to Colon Cancer Alliance for CEO’s signature.
30 Days Out
- Begin meeting requests via telephone, e-mail or fax.
- If you are scheduling appointments, allow seven days and then make follow-up calls for appointments.
- Order any materials you might need for lobby day such as pencils, folders, note pads, and nametags.
15 Days Out
- Prepare participant folders and mail out, if applicable.
- Follow up on all meeting requests with legislators offices that have not yet responded. If not already started, prepare master schedule with all meetings and participants; revise as meetings are scheduled.
2 Days Out
- If applicable, send a press advisory to the media regarding the event.
- Finalize master meeting schedule.
- Prepare cell phone list.
Day of Event
- Send a more detailed press release to the media.
- Arrive at the transportation pick up site early to greet participants.
- Plan to have extra materials in case participants want to do some “drop-by” visits at other legislator offices.