Colorectal Cancer News
The FDA recently approved Zaltrap for the treatment of metastatic or stage IV colon cancer. If you missed Andrea Clay's summary, we have reposted it for those of you who want to learn more.
For additional questions, please call our free Helpline at (877) 422-2030 or Sanofi Medical Resource at (855) 925-8727.
New Drug, Zaltrap, Approved by FDA for Patients with Metastatic or Stage IV Cancer
What is Zaltrap?
- Zaltrap was developed by Sanofi in partnership with Regeneron Pharmaceuticals.
- Zaltrap is the first new drug approved to treat metastatic colon cancer since 2006.
- Metastatic colon cancer is cancer that has spread from the colon or rectum to distant organs such as the liver or lungs.
Who gets Zaltrap?
- Patients who have metastatic or stage IV colon cancer and have failed other treatments such as FOLFOX (fluorouracil, leucovorin and oxaliplatin).
- Approved for use with FOLFIRI (fluorouracil, leucovorin and irinotecan).
- Doctors might also recommend Zaltrap in combination with FOLFOX or as a single agent but patients need to consult with their doctor when deciding on a treatment plan.
- Patients already treated with Avastin might benefit from Zaltrap but need to consult with their doctor when deciding on a treatment plan.
How do I get Zaltrap?
- Until it is available commercially, patients can continue to apply and receive treatment through the Expanded Access Program (EAP). The EAP offers patients the opportunity to receive treatment while awaiting FDA approval. Patients can also receive treatment through the EAP until an approved drug is available commercially.
How does Zaltrap work?
- Zaltrap works by blocking blood supply to tumor/s (anti-angiogenesis). Tumors need a blood supply to continue to grow and spread.
- Zaltrap is considered a targeted therapy.
How do I find out more information on Zaltrap or colon cancer?
- For more information, please call the CCA’s Toll-free Helpline at (877) 422-2030.
To learn more about the Sanofi Expanded Access Program, please call Sanofi at (800) 633-1610 and choose option one.